Frequent Asked Questions about Odoo
Those are the most FAQ about Odoo and its environment
If necessary, our teams are available to answer any of your questions:
Where can I get Odoo last version?
There are several place where you can grab the code. Here are the most important:
- Directly from the editor's page
- If you are familiar with the command line in Linux: git clone https://github.com/odoo/odoo.git
Is it free?
Yes for any version up to version 8.
As of version 9 (2015Q4), the Community Edition stays free (similar to version 8 features) but the Enterprise Edition brings additional features for a fee.
Where can I get more modules?
Currently many modules are available for free:
- Odoo Community Association Apps Center
- Odoo Apps Center
- Odoo Community Association Source Repository
- Elico Corp in Launchpad (v6, v6.1, v7)
- Elico Corp in Github (v7+)
How can I host my Odoo server?
Odoo is a web-based software meaning that you access the data thanks to a web browser. Tḧe data is hosted in a server for which you have several options:
- A server in your premises
- A server in the cloud (Aliyun, Amazon, OVH etc.)
- A SaaS hosted in a 3d party company
Does Odoo work offline?
No, Odoo does not work offline and requires an Internet connection to access the data. Only the Point of Sales application can work offline after the initial synchronization.
What is the license for until Odoo version 8?
What is the license since Odoo version 9?
Additional information: License change
Can I still get the code with the license in Odoo v9+?
- For the Community Edition, you will be able to use it, modify it and distribute it at will.
- For the Enterprise Edition, you will be able to use it and modify it but not to redistribute it.
Odoo Enterprise Edition
What is the Odoo Enterprise Edition?
As of version 9, Odoo will be shipped with 2 different versions: Odoo Community Version and Enterprise Version.
- Community version will be similar to V8 but with some enhancement on Accounting module.
- Enterprise version will be based on Community version + set of exclusive module for Enterprise Contract such as Bank Reconciliation, Clean layout, Responsive to mobile device etc.
Can I use community modules with the Enterprise Edition?
Yes (with some limitations): Presentation from Olivier Dony (Odoo sa)
How can I test the different versions?
You can connect to official different test server/runbot
- Runbot master with new design (from development enterprise branch)
- Runbot master enterprise (in which the new design will be merged soon, latest features)
- Runbot master community (same as above, minus enterprise modules)
How to use the runbot server?
Credentials: admin/admin for administrator and demo/demo for unprivileged user.
Note also that the builds have a short lifespan and are sometimes broken
(e.g. somebody changed passwords, uninstall modules, breaks a view,...)
so the following URL will redirect you to the latest build:
but you can also always hit the "rebuild" button on
http://runbot.odoo.com/runbot/repo/8 to make a new instance (and be
patient, it will take a few minutes/hours, depending on runbot activity,
to run all tests)
Community and Contribution
Where can I find the documentation on Odoo ?
How can I contribute to the community?
Odoo Community Resource Center
Contribute within the Odoo Community Association
Mailing lists (English):
- irc://freenode/OCA, QQ group
What is the Odoo Community Association?
The Odoo Community Association, or OCA, is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to support the collaborative development of Odoo features and promote its widespread use.
Point of Sale Questions
Which hardware does Odoo POS support?
Odoo's POS is a web application that can run on any device that can display websites with little to no setup required.
The Point of Sale works perfectly on any kind of touch enabled device, whether it's multi-touch tablets like an iPad or keyboardless resistive touchscreen terminals.
Does it works offline?
Deploy new stores with just an internet connection: no installation, no specific hardware required. It works with any iPad, Tablet PC, laptop or industrial POS machine.
While an internet connection is required to start the Point of Sale, it will stay operational even after a complete disconnection.
Can I access Odoo via my mobile?
Yes: remember that you only need a browser to access Odoo.
Besides, several mobile applications are available in corresponding Google Play and Apple Markets (CRM, Messages, stock, expenses etc.).
Can I create apps for the mobile devices?
There is a mobile framework available for Android.
For iOS, Odoo can be connected via XMLRPC or JSONRPC protocols.